Here is a picture of the original shirt-
It is a Old Navy size men's small.
I folded it in half ( in pic button's facing left)
I used the same pattern that I used for the Care Bear dress I made last week. The shirt is a little bit shorter then the bottom of the pattern, but i figure it will go to right above the knee. I lined up the shoulder of the pattern to the shoulder of the shirt and cut the side and arm holes.
At this point, you should have this....
This is the shirt- dress laid out!!!!
I've decided that I want to add ribbon for the back ties- I do that now. I place the dress on Dollykin. ( That is the name I came up with for the duct tape dress form I made of my daughter) I find the waist and pin the ribbons on.
I sew the sides of the dress closed from the sleeve holes to the hem. Notice how I sew the ribbon into the dress side.. Make sure to backstich over the ribbon a few times, you don't want it being pulled out.
Now your dress should look like this- Lets move on, shall we?
Now, we make the sleeves! I placed the sleeve pattern on the sleeves of the shirt with both the pattern and sleeves folded. Cut both sleeves at the same time. I seem to see that alot of people have problems with sleeves so I will give a mini-turtorial on how I put in sleeves.
Now you should have this....
Sew the bottom of the sleeve together at the under arm.
Put sleeve into the dress-
in pic the dress is inside out and my thumb is touching the right side of the sleeve. slide the sleeve into the dress.
Pin the sleeve in the dress starting at the armpit. Pin every 1/2 inch or so. I advise to pin only in one direction on the inside or the ouside- I use the inside. It's easier for me to sew that way. Smooth the sleeve and the dress hole together as you pin. You should'nt have any extra sleeve left when pinned all around.
I sew on the sleeve side. I sew over my pins, I just slow down at each one so I don't hit one. You can take them out as you come to them if you choose, but be careful that the material dosn't shift.
Woo-Hoo!!! We did it!!!!! Now we're done partying over that, we get to go back and do the other one.. :)
I decieded to sew the ribbon on the pocket and sew it right below the waist.
Guess what???????? WE'RE DONE!!!!!!!!!
I hope this was understandable. If you have any questions, please ask.. this project took me about a hour to complete.



Love it. This looks so much simpler than other tutorials on men's shirt refashions - for those of us who are basically beginners, anyways! And I especially love the sleeve details. I needed to see that. I found you through One Pretty Thing - thank you for the post!
ReplyDeleteLooks cute! How does the neck of a mans shirt fit a little girl? Is is like a collared v neck?
ReplyDeleteGreat job with the dress. I've got a Hawaiian shirt that I picked up at a garage sale that I'm planning to turn into a dress.
ReplyDeleteHeidi- I'm glad I was able to help you with the sleeves and the dress was easy!!!
ReplyDeleteJane- yes, it was a v-neck style.. My daughter is wearing it tommorrow, so I'll upload a pic then for you.
Polly- thank you, Good luck on your dress!
super cute! I have some shirts ready to go!
ReplyDelete