Monday, September 27, 2010

The girls new clothes!

Recently in the past few years I've lost and gained and lost a bit of weight.. I have now decided to part with all those large items of clothing... so off I go making kids clothes again. (They grow soooo fast!) I found that with one pair of 1-2x elastic waist paints I can make a pair of capris and a skirt. Woo Hoo!! It was simple!
Please keep your sense of humor, I will try to recreate how I did it. ( How come I never think to take the pictures while I'm making stuff???)

Take a pair of larger sized pants and lay them over the pattern. (I used a pants pattern, but I lined up the bottom hem where I want the pants to fall on the child)













(I used a totally different pair of pants to show this, sorry for any confusion)

I chalk outlined where the pattern would be. I absolutely hate cutting patterns up. Notice the bottom hem is right where it would be on the childs pants? I will not have to hem these!

After cut out it will look like this- (without the elastic)














I found a easy way to make the crotch seam-
Take one pants leg right side out and place it inside the leg thats inside out .. so both rights side lay against each other- is this making sense?? Then stich together.














When you finished that then pull the leg out of the other one and make the casing for the elastic! I used 1 inch no roll elastic- cause thats all I have at the moment.

A brief pause for story time!

I was showing my daughters, 5 and 7, how and why I was making these. This pair was for my 5 y/o. I let them watch me measure for them. Cut them out. My Beka had to try on one leg after I cut them out. She looked silly but I wanted them to understand how the pants were made. When I sewed up the crotch seam I showed them on a pair of my 7 y/o's shorts what the seam was. After I was done sewing it up I handed it to my Beka to turn them right side out.. She flipped them in a hurry and insisted she try them on... I'm like " well ok if you want to...) While she was putting them on under her night shirt, I leaned to my 7 y/o and wispered-
Me- I wonder when she will notice somethings missing..
Mandi- What's missing?
Me- You'll see..
Mandi- I know what's missing- Elastic!!

Then Beka came out and held up her shirt with two hands for everyone to see her new shorts!
THEY FELL DOWN!!
She quickly picked them up as I asked her whats missing..
Her answer " BUTTONS!!!"
" Mom you forgot to add buttons!!"
I reminded her the elastic hadn't been added..
She said not to let her try on clothing until its finished next time!


Finished Product-



Here it the pair I made a few days ago-













This will be what I have left from the old pants-













With in the next few days, I will show you step by step how to make a skirt with this.......

No comments:

Post a Comment